Book 1 Prelude No. 19 in A Major by JS Bach
DEUS TUORUM MILITUM
© 2011 Ed Kotski
- MIDI - Prelude 19 WTC 1 with Deus Tuorum Militum
- MIDI - Prelude 19 WTC 1 Bass Line and Deus Tuorum Militum
- MIDI - Deus Tuorum Militum
- MIDI - Prelude 19 WTC 1
Bach created this Prelude by basing it on the old Gregorian Hymn "Deus Tuorum Militum".
Here you will find a downloadable pdf file showing the music of this hymn. The pdf file also includes the page you are reading, as sheet 4. The MIDI files play the music.
- MIDI - Prelude 19 WTC 1 is the 3-part Prelude as Bach published it. I have used horns for clarity.
- MIDI - Deus Tuorum Militum is the first three verses of the hymn chant, by itself.
- MIDI - Prelude 19 WTC 1 Bass Line and Deus Tuorum Militum MIDI file dtm-p19b.mid is the Bass line of the Prelude along with the Hymn.
- MIDI - Prelude 19 WTC 1 with Deus Tuorum Militum is the 3-part Prelude with the Hymn, all together.
Deus Tuorum Militum Sors et corona praemium Laudes canentes Martyris Absolve nexu criminis.
O God of your soldiers, whose destiny their reward and garland, release from the bond of sin those singing praises of the martyr.
Hic nempe mundi gaudia Et blanda fraudem pabula Imbuta felle deputans Pervenit ad caelestia.
Here, certainly, cutting away the delights and alluring deceit of the world , food soaking in bitterness, he returns to your heavenly home.
Poenas cucurrit fortiter Et sustulit viriliter Fundensque pro te sanguinem Aeterna dona possidet.
He hastened bravely to face punishments and endured them manfully, and shedding blood for you he inherits eternal gifts.
For other examples of Bach's use of chant melodies in his own pieces, see: